Monday, August 8, 2011

Who Sold Out Torchwood?


First of all, let's get a few things straight. Torchwood is a spin-off of Doctor Who. In the "Who" mythos, Queen Victoria not only founded the Torchwood Institute to fend off alien threats, but also to keep The Doctor out of Britain. Captain Jack Harkness rose through the ranks and eventually became Torchwood itself. Most of us already know that if you rearrange the letters, "Torchwood" spells "Doctor Who".

As we all know, the show has been bought and "Americanized" by the Starz cable network. While this is a travesty, we have to look deeper into the grand picture. It has been admitted that the show would have carried on in the UK had it not have been picked up in the US. What does this mean?

As much as I love Russell T. Davies for successfully reviving my favorite TV show ever (and I mean EVER), I have to fault him for the downfall of Torchwood. It is by no means what it used to be. I understand that a show has to evolve to survive. In "Miracle Day", however, I see less evolution and more catering to Hollywood culture. In my humble opinion, this show will not survive in an American market.

Blame who you will.... an American cable channel or Americans themselves... The harsh reality is that Davies himself sold the show out. What does he stand to gain? A more solid footing in US TV. It pays a LOT more. It also paves the way for American film. That jackass Moffat already has his heels dug firmly into that.

I don't like Steven Moffat.

To finish, I love Davies and what he did with WHO. Absolutely LOVE it. I also understand that what he does is business. I will not fault the man for doing his job. I WILL fault him for sacrificing his roots and his art to further his career, tho.

Torchwood is now something that I catch when I can. Truly sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment